Portuguese grilled chicken
Fancy a change from the usual roast chicken then try this recipe which gets flavour and spice into all parts of the bird.
Mitani Chicken Salt
Whole free range chicken
2 large tablespoons Portuguese hot sauce
2 large cloves garlic
50mls olive oil
2 heaped teaspoons smoked paprika
2 large brown onions
Bunch oregano (or tablespoon dried)
Bunch thyme (or tablespoon dried)
Ground black pepper
- Ensure chicken is room temperature. If not, remove from fridge and leave for around an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Cut large incisions into the legs, thighs and breast of the chicken.
- Pick and finely chop the oregano and thyme, finely chop the garlic and juice the lemon.
- For the marinade, mix together in a bowl the olive oil, Portuguese hot sauce, chopped herbs, chopped garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, ground black pepper and a few good shakes of Mitani Chicken Salt. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions about 5mm thick. Line a baking dish with the onions.
- Place the chicken on top of the onions and massage the marinade into the chicken making sure the liquid gets into all parts of the chicken and it’s evenly coated.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. During cooking remove from the oven every 10 minutes and baste the chicken with the marinade before returning to the oven.
- Remove from the oven and turn the oven to oven grill.
- Grill the chicken in the baking dish for a further 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve with wedges of lemon and a crisp green salad. It also goes well with a few Mitani Chicken Salt chips.