Mitani’s slow-roasted Mediterranean lamb
A delicious and easy to prepare recipe that brings out the natural sweetness of lamb with simple flavours and slow cooking.
Mitani Chicken Salt
1.2 kg leg of lamb (Boned)
½ bunch fresh oregano
4 cloves garlic
100ml olive oil
4 brown onions
Ground black pepper
1 cup natural or Greek yoghurt
2 cloves garlic
- Ensure the lamb is room temperature. If the lamb is in the fridge then remove and allow to come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF/gas 2.
- Zest and juice the two lemons, chop the oregano and finely chop the garlic. Mix together in a bowl.
- Add two or three good shakes of Mitani Chicken Salt, add the olive oil and ground black pepper. Mix together.
- Peel and slice the onions into 6mm discs. Line the bottom of a roasting tray or baking dish with the onions.
- Rub the marinade into the lamb making sure it’s well covered. Add a little more Mitani Chicken Salt at this stage if you wish.
- Place the lamb on top of the sliced onions in the roasting or baking dish. Cover the dish with baking foil.
- Place in the pre-heated over for around 4 hours or until the lamb is soft, melting and sticky and you can pull it apart with a fork.
- For the Garlic Sauce, finely chop the cloves of garlic and mix with the yoghurt. Set aside in the fridge until the lamb is cooked.
- Once the lamb is cooked, shred with a fork.
Serve the lamb in the middle of the table with warm pitta bread, Greek Salad, pitted black olives and the garlic sauce.