Crispy pork belly with Asian salad
Perfect crispy skinned pork and a nicely balanced salad with equal amounts of spice and crunch.
Mitani Chicken Salt
1kg pork belly
2 large cloves of garlic
Tablespoon of olive oil
¼ cup fennel seeds
2 large brown onions
Ground black pepper
Small red cabbage
¼ cup peanuts
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup caster sugar
Small red chilli
Tablespoon soy sauce
- Criss-cross the rind of the pork belly with a sharp knife. Rub the skin side only liberally with Mitani Chicken Salt.
- Finely chop the garlic, crack the fennel seeds and add to a bowl with the black pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
- Coat the meat side of the belly pork with the marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Remove pork from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 250°C/480°F/Gas 9
- Peel and thickly slice the onions and line the bottom of roasting tray. Lay the pork meat side down over onions.
- Roast for 20 – 25 minutes then reduce heat to 165°C/325°F/Gas 3 and cook for a further 50 minutes or until rind is crisp and pork is cooked through. Set aside the pork for 10 minutes to rest.
- Finely slice cabbage, peel and grate the carrots, pick and wash the coriander leaves and add into a large bowl with the peanuts (chopped).
- Gently heat the rice wine vinegar and sugar over a low heat until the sugar dissolves and the liquid starts to thicken.
- Deseed and finely chop the chilli, juice and zest a lime and add to the vinegar. Stir in the soy sauce.
- Slice the pork, add the dressing to the salad and combine. Serve immediately.